The Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum Job Description – Museum Assistant
Background. The Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum is a small military museum which tells the story of the Regiment from its founding in 1702 to its amalgamation in 1992 into The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment – partly based in Hampshire.
We wish to appoint 2 part-time Museum Assistants to support our curator. The Museum Assistants will be expected to play a part in all aspects of running the museum – from Front of House to archive research to shop sales. This role offers the opportunity to acquire practical experience across a wide spectrum of curatorial work and potentially take on significant responsibility quickly too.
The job will be based in Serle’s House in Winchester, which was built in 1730 and is Grade II listed. There are narrow passageways and steps in the back offices. If this environment might present difficulties at interview, please let us know in your application in order that we can consider alternative arrangements for meeting with you.
- Checking and maintaining objects on display in the museum as well as preparing display cases and installing objects in the museum galleries.
- Ensure accurate labelling and recording of objects in storage, display and during any move as well as assisting with object paperwork.
- Assist with the documentation project of the museum store, ensuring that all items are correctly catalogued on MODES, labelled, and photographed.
- Utilise the Collection to assist with family history research.
- Take responsibility for the care, housing and safekeeping of the collections and the movement of objects for temporary exhibitions.
Visitor Engagement Duties.
- Be the first point of contact for visitors and assist them where necessary.
- Assist with group visits (including schools and cadets) to the museum and in organising talks, lectures, events and workshops.
- Act as Front of House in the Museum (including alternate Saturdays) and be responsible for the safety of visitors as well as security of the museum.
- Developing the museum’s online presence through its website and social media.
- Support the museum in assisting with events, exhibitions, talks and open days.
- Museum shop stock & sales including cash & card payments.
- Deputise for the Curator in her absence when necessary.
- Attend training courses or seminars as necessary.
- Work with volunteers and students as directed.
- Undertake any other Museum duties/projects as may be assigned by the Curator.
- Be conversant with the Museum’s fire regulations and emergency procedures and ensure familiarity with all Health and Safety policies etc.
The Applicant – Skills/qualifications, experience and qualities
The successful applicant will demonstrate the following essential and desirable requirements:
- A degree/equivalent qualification in a relevant field or comparable work experience within the heritage sector.
- Some knowledge and experience of museum, archive or library collections, in particular with regards to access, conservation and information provision to accreditation standards.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise demands effectively and respond swiftly when necessary.
- A good standard of written English and
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Confident with good communication skills when dealing with visitors.
- Ability to work as a member of a team or on individual projects.
- Physical ability for moving objects.
- Good IT skills including Word and Excel.
- Interest in military history.
- Knowledge of social media, apps and WordPress.
- Experience of cataloguing, using online databases and automated museum systems, in particular MODES.
- Awareness of current practice for collection display, storage and conservation.
Terms and Conditions
You will be employed by The Royal Hampshire Regiment Trust, initially on a 6-month probationary period. The salary will be based on £19,760 pro rata with the working hours – as follows:
Job 1: Thursday, Friday & alternate Saturdays (20 hrs week 1; 14 hrs week 2)
Job 2: Monday, Tuesday & alternate Saturdays (14 hrs week 1; 20 hrs week 2;).
Time off in lieu for overtime hours will be granted. You will be entitled to the equivalent of 3 weeks paid leave per annum. As the salary is below the Government threshold, this post does not include a pension scheme.
To apply please send your current Curriculum Vitae with the contact details of 2 Referees and a covering letter by Friday 31st December 2021 to: Susannah Jarvis, Curator, The Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum, Serle’s House, Southgate Street, Winchester SO23 9EG, email: email@example.com . Please specify whether you are applying for Job 1 or 2.
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews: In late January 2022
Appointment: early March 2022